Skip to main content

Need a Burn Permit?

May contain: fire, bonfire, and flame

AFPD does NOT issue burn permits. In order to get started on the burn permit process, below are the steps you will need to complete:

Step 1: Figure out which type of permit you need;

Type of burn permit application:

  • Residential Burning is burning outdoors at a single or two-family dwelling unit or residence.
  • Broadcast Burning is a controlled application of fire to the land, often called a controlled burn or prescribed fire.
  • Agency/Ag Burning consists of General Projects, where broadcast burning is performed by a state agency or the agricultural industry, or Preventive Projects that could cause a fire.

 Step 2:  Visit Calfire's Burn Permit Site and scroll to the bottom to see the State Responsibility Area. Type your address into the top search bar, and if your address falls under the pale yellow area on the map, you will need to apply for a Calfire Burn Permit as well as a permit from the NCAQMD (Step 3). 

Step 3: Visit the Northcoast Unified Air Quality Management District Burn Permit Application Page to download the application for a burn permit. 

*A standard burn permit authorizes an individual to burn a maximum of one pile (4' in diameter) at a time of approved materials. The fee for Standard Burn Permits is $20. Property must have a residence on-site. Burn hours are 6:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon on permissive burn days only.

Call 866-287-6329 (1-866-BURNDAY) to determine Burn Day status. AFPD will not be able to answer any questions regarding burn permits and will redirect all calls or emails to the NCUAQMD phone number at (707) 443-7665.


May contain: logo, trademark, and symbol



Join our mailing list